Cheesy oven-baked garlic potatoes, a simple, easy side dish recipe, with fluffy potatoes, cheese, & onions, baked in a tasty garlic and herb mix. A tasty cheesy potato bake!
This recipe is home cooking at it's best!
The simple flavors, using regular pantry ingredients, combined with an easy-to-follow recipe will likely make this one of your 'go-to' side dishes for many years to come.
You'll find this simple baked cheesy potato side dish fuss-free and straight forward.
It's not fancy at all, however, with the basic flavors of garlic, herbs, cheese, and onions, your potatoes start to sing with deliciousness!
This humble potato dish is perfect for a weeknight dinner, perhaps with a simple steak, or sausages, which you could cook in the oven at the same time.
Or you could serve this as part of your Thanksgiving, making ahead the day before and heating through when you're ready to serve.
In the photo below, we served this cheesy oven potato dish with a steak, some mushrooms and asparagus.
and yes, it was so good!
Hopefully, you're getting the idea that this will go with pretty much anything, and it's great for feeding a crowd.
It's low budget, given the main ingredient is potatoes, and you could make this up in a huge tray bake style pan if you were to do a large batch, say to take to a potluck or party.
We've left the recipe flexible according to your personal taste, so if you have any particular herbs you love, add them.
We've used red onions. It adds a little color to the dish so you don't end up with a very yellowy white color!
What other ingredients can I use to make this potato dish?
For the cheese, we've used regular Cheddar cheese.
By all means, add some Pepper Jack Cheese to spice it up a little or even some chili flakes.
For all you bacon lovers, you could also add some diced, pre-cooked bacon. That's another flavor dimension to enjoy!
You can also add a few tablespoons of sour cream to the potatoes to give them a creamy taste.
There are lots of variations you could do so feel free to experiment with this recipe and let us know in the comments below what you did!
So let's get to the recipe and see how easy this is to make.
1 ½ lb or 700 g Potatoes
1 Red Onion
3 cloves of Garlic, finely chopped
1 Table Spoon of Mixed Herbs
4 Tablespoons of Butter, melted
1 Cup or 100 g Grated Cheddar Cheese
- Preheat oven to 350F, 180C
2. Peel Potatoes and Slice (approx ¼ inch thickness)
3. Place in pan and add water, bring to the boil then simmer for 10 minutes.
4. In the meantime peel onion and then cut in half, then slice in half circles
5. In a small bowl, add the chopped garlic, mixed herbs and butter.
Microwave at 30 second intervals until the butter has melted and stir to combine
6. Once potatoes are cooked, drain.
7. Use ½ of the potatoes and onion and place in the bottom of the ovenproof dish or pan.
NOTE: Make sure your dish is large enough for the number of potatoes you are using.
8. Add ½ of the garlic butter mix and ½ of the grated cheese
9. Repeat the layers, ending with some cheese sprinkled on the top
and place in the preheated oven for 30 - 40 minutes until golden brown.
Optional: You can add extra cheese if you wish, however, the amount in the recipe is a pretty good balance.
- 1 ½ lb or 700 g Potatoes
- 1 Red Onion
- 3 Cloves of Garlic, finely chopped
- 1 Table Spoon of Mixed Herbs
- 4 Tablespoons of Butter, melted
- 1 Cup or 100 g Grated Cheddar Cheese
- Preheat oven to 350F, 180C
- Peel Potatoes and Slice (approx ¼ inch thickness)
- Place in pan and add water, bring to the boil then simmer for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime peel onion and then cut in half, then slice in half circles
- In a small bowl, add the chopped garlic, mixed herbs, and butter.
Microwave at 30-second intervals until the butter has melted and stir to combine.
- Once potatoes cooked drain
- Use ½ of the potatoes and onion and place in the bottom of the ovenproof dish.
- Add ½ of the grated cheese and ½ of the garlic butter mix.
- Repeat the layers and place in the preheated oven for 30 - 40 minutes until golden brown.
Optional: you can add extra cheese if you wish, however, the amount in the recipe is a pretty good balance.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 383Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 55mgSodium: 278mgCarbohydrates: 42gFiber: 5gSugar: 3gProtein: 11g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate